- Garden Rooms must be single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of 4 metres with a dual pitched roof, or 3 metres in any other case.
- If the Garden Rooms is within 2 metres of the property boundary the whole building should not exceed 2.5 metres in height.
- You can go up to 50% of the area of all your garden.
- The area of your garden is all your land except the part the house stands on, so the area includes the front garden, side gardens and back garden, less the area of any other buildings, fuel tanks etc.
- No buildings are to go in front of the front elevation of the house
- Conservation areas; you cannot build at the front or side, but you can place a garden room in the back garden
- Listed buildings; need full planning permission.
- Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty; max size of 10sq metres at least 20 metres away from the house.
- Any new building must not itself be separate, self-contained, living accommodation and must not have a microwave antenna.
*Should your garden room need planning permission (does not meet the above criteria), we can provide a full planning service for you. From design through to submitting a planning application
Investing in the right garden room not only makes sure you have a lifetime of use out of it, but also adds value to your house.
Estate Agents base their valuations on the total floor space of habitable accommodation within boundary of the plot. Because every Hawksbeck Garden Room comes with a building regulations certificate, it is therefore classed as habitable space.
In 2018 the average cost of property sold in Greater London was £5,131 per square metre. So if you were to build a 20sqm garden room, that would add £102,620 to the value of your house.
All Hawksbeck Garden Rooms are built using Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)
SIPs out-perform other building methods in virtually every thermal and structural category because the insulation is a component of the system, rather than an addition. As a consequence, they have exceptional thermal performance and u-values (drastically reducing your heating and energy bills) and making SIPs a truly environmentally friendly option.
We work with building control to ensure we install the right foundations for your garden room. Taking into account soil conditions, slope of the garden and proximity to trees.
We then design foundations that cause the least disruption to your garden, the environment and ensures sign off by building control inspector.
Yes, we offer a wide range of aluminum and uPVC doors in either bifold, sliding or French door styles. All come with energy rated double glazing as standard.
We offer a wide range of flooring. The most popular choice is engineered wooden flooring. We carry a range of samples so you can create the unique finish you’re looking for.
Foil-backed plasterboard, plastered and skimmed.
Firestone EDPM is our standard roof option. It gives an excellent waterproof barrier to your garden roof structure and is specially designed for flat or low-sloped roofs. It is a durable rubber roofing membrane which is used worldwide. It has a life expectancy of more than 50 years with a 30 year weather security guarantee.
For clients looking for green roof to blend in with their garden, a sedum roof is the prefect choice. It sits on top of an EDPM roof, and is a great way to finish your garden room. From an aerial perspective, sedum roofs blend with your garden, are environmentally-friendly and give great insulation.
We have a team of qualified electricians that install all of the electrical wiring, lighting, switches, Coax and Cat 6 cables. The electrical installation is fully tested and we issue an electrical certificate on completion of your garden room.
Cedar cladding is our most popular choice it is a natural and sustainable product. It is a very effective insulator, requires very little maintenance and it lasts for decades. Best of all cedar cladding looks great and can be stained almost any colour.
We also offer cement fibre weatherboard is a low maintenance, rot free alternative to traditional timber weatherboarding. It comes in a range of 23 factory applied colours, and has a life expectancy of 50 years.